Applewood Center's After School Group Counseling program provides intensive group counseling for children ages 6 to 18 who have severe emotional and behavioral difficulties, which could include:
- Extreme fears
- Mood disturbance
- Aggressive behaviors
- Multiple losses
- Relationship difficulties with peers and adults
How the Program Works
Each day consists of a variety of activities and challenges centered around a therapeutic theme. Led by therapists and counselors, the group process provides children with opportunities to share their thoughts and feelings, and to learn skills that will enable them to be more successful. Through peer support, the program assists children with skill development in the following areas:
- Anger management
- Building positive relationships with others
- Identification and appropriate expression of feelings
- Impulse control
- Problem solving and coping
- Conflict resolution
- Setting and achieving personal goals
Prior to the start of the group session children receive a bag lunch. Snack is served during group as well.
All programs are held at Applewood's Children's Aid Society Campus on Detroit Avenue. Children may attend daily or on any combination of days based on needs identified on an individualized service plan.
- During the School Year: Groups are held after school from 4:15 p.m. to 6:46 p.m. Monday through Friday, with the exception of winter and spring breaks, the observation of holidays, and planned breaks. Transportation is available and coordinated on an individual basis.
- Winter and Spring Breaks: Group sessions are held during the school day on select days of the week, and daily for eight weeks during the summer.
- Summer Program: Groups during the summer are held from 9:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. The transition dates from After School to Summer Programming varies based on local school calendars.
Currently, Medicaid covers the cost of participation in the program. Eligible participants must have Medicaid coverage.
Reach Us At 216-521-6511
To download a brochure about Applewood Centers After School Group Counseling services click here.